Monday, July 12, 2010

occasional t-storms

oh hey guys!

so really I have to tell you a main reason why I haven't been updating is that my camera broke and I think a blog post without pictures is bor-ing. but, here it is anyway.

there's been some major heat wave action going on over here lately. the last few days it cooled down but last week was hot, hot, hot. quote of the week goes to ellie, our farm manager, explaining to the adamahniks how they'd be working in the heat: "ok, first of all, it's not going to be 100 degrees. it's going to be 96, 94, 95 tops."

so it was pretty miserable there for awhile but then the heat broke and now we're back to normal days in the 80s and nights in the 70s. actually last night it was 63 degrees, which I really enjoyed.

in other news, I cut my finger on a rusty oil barrel working on my biochar project last thursday, which was instantly enraging because I hate hurting myself, but it's actually healing pretty well. annoyingly, I got through all the metal fabrication with no problem (some drilling, some sawzall'ing) and then just gouged my finger on a snag checking the barrel sizes. grr. luckily I am regenerating myself, just like a starfish.

other than that, I've been making pickles, force-feeding goats deworming pills, causing compost 'issues', and
making cheese and yogurt. farm life is good - summer veg is starting to be ready in great abundance. tomatoes should be ripe soon, weird for a california girl like me that's used to having them around already.

apparently we've been having some predator issues around the chicken coop at night, so shamu's up there right now with a pellet gun (and possible a rifle) defending our little egg machines. stay tuned for that update.

No comments:

Post a Comment